Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Greasy Weiner - My Story

  If someone asked me why I, a C.I.A. trained Chef and a professional Sommelier, would want to be involved in a truck selling hotdogs in Los Angeles, I’d probably just tell them its because without my love of a deep fried hotdog, I wouldn’t be what I am today.
  I’ll begin at the beginning:  Growing up in a little town named, Phillipsburg, in the great Garden State of New Jersey had its perks.  Most of them revolved around high school wrestling matches and late nights of underage drinking in fields or along train tracks.  But in truth they all seemed to lead back to one place: Toby’s.  Toby’s, was and still is a 30 square foot lean-to on the side of Route 22 West, right in the heart of town.  But it wasn’t the location, nor the vast amenities, like a gumball machine in the corner, it was ALL about the hotdogs.  They were these little deep fried morsels of goodness in a steamy bun with pickle spears on top and wrapped in the cheapest paper money could afford.  A trip to Toby’s could not be hidden from partygoers as you’d always reek of the place for the rest of the night, but you’d be the god of the social scene if you brought some for everyone else.  You might also be forced to go as a result of being ASSHOLE in the so named drinking/card game, but that’s another story!
  Now Phillipsburg is not known for its social graces, nor its Haute Cuisine, so a place like Toby’s has stood the test of time, and is still THE most visited place in town when I return.  It’s more to do with the desire to regress to a time when, “The Boys of Summer”, were there.  A simple meal of half a dozen hotdogs is pure nostalgia. 
  So, how did a hotdog stand make me who I am?  Well it was never a place I wanted to work, that’s for sure!  But Sammy’s Drive-In, just up the road was.  Samuel A. Ayoub, owned a 1950s style drive-in that was a chief competitor to Toby’s and had a history of employing Phillipsburg High School athletes, even my older brother worked there, and Sammy was a fun guy to work for.  He taught us how to slice and dice onions, butcher beef, make chili, and of course in classic East Coast tradition, deep fry hot dogs!  I was proud of myself every day working for Sam, and it was Sam who, despite our past differences, wrote me a recommendation letter that gained me entry to the top culinary school in the country: The Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, NY.  Yes, he told a few white lies that day, but he did it for me, and for that I’ll always remember him fondly, thanks Sam.
  From my days at Sammy’s, to my trips to other great hot dog joints in the area such as: Yacco’s the Hot Dog King; Jimmy’s Hot Dog Stand and its many reincarnations; and Charlie’s Pool Room, I’d become fascinated by the rationality of the deep fried hot dog.  So, when my oldest and best friend Josh and his brother Adam, who both worked side-by-side with me at Sammy’s, approached me to create our own dog, based on our history and love of this specialty item, I jumped at the chance.  It is through a love of the deep fried dog, affectionately named, The Greasy Weiner, that a new chapter begins on a New Coast and I can only hope that you fall head over heels in love the way I did, so many hotdogs ago.

Sincerely,

Eric C. Maczko
Executive Chef, CS
Pine Ridge Vineyards - Napa, CA

No comments:

Post a Comment