Sunday, January 31, 2010

Classification of Napa Valley Vineyards - 2010

  Much has been said about the 1855 Classification of Bordeaux, and much has been disputed, such as what the hell happened to St Emilion and Pomerol for God's Sake?!?  And why is Chateau "Whatever", a Third Growth, they make wine half as good as, Chateau "Awsomness", and Chateau "Awsomness" is not even Classified...
  It's these questions that the French, in their stubborness, chose never to answer for.  And it's these questions that Mr. Robert Parker and others have been battling to get rightful answers to for decades thru 100 point rating systems.  I like points, but I hate Point Chasers.  I can't stand watching someone walk in to the winery holding a Buying Guide only to skip on some wines to only taste the, "90 pointers".  That guy holding the scores in his hand isn't RP, so why would he trust only RP's opinion?  I think RP has a very good sense of taste, and an even better sense of "saleability", and this is what makes so many followers become devout in their acceptance of his "truth".
  To me it's the same as say, believing in a religion.  There's one "leader" they all listen to.  They never feel the "leader" is guiding them astray.  They continue to invest mindlessly in their "leader's" opinions and guidance.  They die never knowing the truth, which is the freedom they gave up when surrendering their thoughts to the "leader".
  Now it sounds like I'm placating, and I am.  That's why I don't score wine, I just write up my experiences with the great/memorable juice.  Do you think I only taste three wines a week?  Just think of how much good juice I have to wade thru to get you one great wine review.  Yes. I'm a snob.  But I'm a snob for ME, not for anyone else.  People are agast when I drive them thru Napa only to point out all the Vineyards that, "suck".  They say things like, "How can they all suck?" or " I like their wine!  They don't suck!!".  I just tell them, "No they don't suck, THAT vineyard sucks.  Not that producer...".  Yet they still don't get the concept until I explain that the wine they buy comes from so many other vineyards other than the one right on the Silverado Taril next the the Winery.  Some of the contributing Vineyards are stellar and make up for the failings of THAT vineyard.  Then the light comes on for them.
  This is the light I'm attempting to electrify for YOU with this Classification.

  It may take me some months to piece it all together, but be assured the information I provide will be honest, accurate(for a while at least, huh?), and supported by historical data based on grape prices(thus wine prices).
All I want to do is isolate: THE BEST PARCES OF NAPA VALLEY FOR BORDEAUX VARIETALS.
Sorry Petite Syrah, next time(Vincent Arroyo Greenwood Ranch, you would be a 1st Growth;).

No comments:

Post a Comment